Sunday, March 22, 2009

Equals

You were my lover

My partner, my husband

You were my plaything

My slave, my excuse 

You were my anger

My discontent, my displeasure

 Equals we were not

 

I looked up the meaning of equal in the dictionary some of the definitions: having identical privileges, status, rights. Evenly balanced or proportioned.  Neither of these definitions figured into my relationship.  Not something I am proud of, but to deny the truth is denying myself the chance to work on improving myself and maybe the relationship.

10 comments:

  1. It seems to me this is what happens when a relationship is not equal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So important to have an equal relationship. Each will be different, but balance is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relationship are very seldom equal, Carrie. That's why many don't work. But I keep on trying. Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your last comment about denying the truth...what an inspiring example of rising from the ashes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not always equal but surely should have some balance... Nicely written piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the marching rhythm of the poem and your desire to march to a different drum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your encouraging comments. And yes I do feel like I am rising from the ashes. This is a great step forward for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very strong poem. Your resolve for change, your standing up for yourself shows in it clearly. And yet, you recognize your own complicity -- I like the phrase "my excuse."

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh it is hard to measure love over time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A relationship is often made of mutual unbalances.
    No two people are really equal at all time.

    ReplyDelete